7 Ways to Tackle
Bad Hair Days This Summer
Humidity, chlorine, and sun, oh my! You spend months looking forward to summer and all its activities, but remember the summer sun comes with lots of stresses to your tresses. If you don't want a dried out, damaged look throughout the summer heat, protect your hair early on.
1. Start Fresh: Sun will do less damage to healthy hair, so a good trim to start the summer gives you a good foundation. At the end of summer, add a conditioning treatment to your cut and style to refresh dehydrated locks.
2. At Home: Use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner, avoiding those with harsh sulphates, parabens, or sodium chlorine that dry your hair and scalp.
3. Protect: Many finishing products are specifically formulated to protect against harmful UV rays. Apply to wet hair so it absorbs into the follicles. Even better...cover up with a hat or get creative with a turban or pretty scarf.
4. Before Swimming: Wet hair before going for a dip in the pool. This helps block chlorine from penetrating into your hair.
5. After Swimming: Avoid brushing wet hair harshly! It's better to spray on a detangler and gently work it through using a wide-toothed comb.
6. Go Natural: Avoid trying to make your hair do something it doesn't want to do and work with your natural hair style and texture. The heat and humidity plays havoc with over-styled hair!
7. Keep your look fresh with these quick on-the-go fixes:
- Frazzled flyaways? Rub a dollop of hand cream through your hair to smooth and hydrate.
- Waves flatlined? Dampen slightly, braid, blow dry on a low heat setting, then undo. Use fingers to loosely comb out your style.
- Limp hair with no life? Pump up your style with dry shampoo applied to your roots and then tease for instant volume.